Wednesday, July 23, 2008

DIY: Make DirectX Games

As I browse the loads of games Ubuntu offers free of charge (too many NetHack clones), I may as well show you a game construction suite specifically for Windows users. It's called Construct, and it's extremely easy to use.

In Construct, you have templates for pre-constructed games, and you have a blank template. There's also an option to make applications, but that feature isn't working yet, so let's make a game...

Choose the blank game template.
Right-click on the canvas and add an object.
Choose the Sprite object, which is just an image.
Draw a quick doodle or load your own image.
Close out of the sprite editor and save.
Click on the sprite and look at his properties.
Add a behavior. In my case, I added the 8-Direction movement.
Finally, save and test the game. Your doodle should move.

To truly learn to use Construct, you should follow the instructions on the Scirra tutorial for making a top-down shooter. I made my own modifications to the template and basically made my own game out of it. You can download my game here.

I also started working on a more ambitious project in Construct. That project is called SyMe'z, and it will be one of those games you could play for a very long time and never run out of stuff to do. Like Animal Crossing, sort of.

No comments: