Monday, May 19, 2008

9Dragons and Other Acclaim Games

Yesterday, I found the new Acclaim Games website and recognized a game I wasted hours trying to install last year. By wasting time, I mean the game installed eventually and I realized my PC couldn't handle the game. I also saw an interesting game titled Nine Dragons.

I downloaded the installer for 9Dragons, and it was a very quick download, but it had to download another installer, so I was annoyed and put it off until today. I let it download all morning while I did my yard work. Finally, at about 3pm, the installer was downloaded. Then, I had to download and install game updates for about a hour, but I kept myself busy during the wait, and it finished without any trouble.

I started the game and absolutely loved the opening animations for the start menu. 9Dragons is a very nice-looking game, and it even works with my crappy video card. I enjoy the look of the game, but it has some throwbacks.

The sound effects are annoying and, sometimes, downright obnoxious. The music is almost non-existent. The voices are off sync with the characters' mouths. All these problems are very apparent at the beginning of the game... if you participate in the tutorial.

The tutorial froze the game for about five minutes just to load some very distracting banner ads. There are advertisements all over this game! That's the main reason I'm never playing 9Dragons again. The other reason is I like CroNous more.

No comments: