Friday, May 9, 2008

Kid Friendly Games

This is my first kid-friendly post. I understand the need for non-violent games, and I did some extensive searching, but most of the games I found were obviously Flash-powered puzzle games. I decided not to bother reviewing those. If you think I should start posting good puzzle games, say so.

The first MMORPG that turned up when I searched for "kid friendly mmorpg" on Google was Toontown. Don't resort to playing that garbage. I have better options for you.

If you have to aim low, a browser-based game is your best bet. You could let your child fall victim to Runescape, and that's a very family-friendly game, but there are some alternatives. If your child wants a pet, NeoPets is probably the game you're looking for, but I would look at some NeoPets clones like PetNebula or KiroPets first, because the real NeoPets is too popular for its own good. One alternative I was actually creating as an offline game was Mythical Creature. If you like that game, say so, and I might start working on it again.

If you have a fairly powerful computer with a nice video card, you could give FlyFF a try. I actually played that game for about a week, when I was growing tired of Runescape. I quit playing only because my computer had problems playing it. I would play it again, but I really prefer the dungeon crawling games. If FlyFF works well for you, play it, because it really is a decent game.

On that note, you could also try Eudemons. One of my teenage cousins is currently addicted to that game, just like any MMORPG player. I don't get to try Eudemons, because it requires a somewhat powerful video card, but really, I suggest Runescape for low-end computers.

No comments: